Monday, June 20, 2016

Day 20

Today my soul is hurting. My life is beautiful and my heart is breaking for those whose lives are not. As I type those words I know that they are wrong. Other's lives are beautiful even when filled with great trials and unimaginable pain they still have great blessings and beauty.

I do not mean to discount pain or suffering in any way. I know that there are hard and ugly things in this world. There are many things that seem unbearably unfair. I am so thankful that I believe in a loving Heavenly Father who understands these things. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to study a talk from April General Conference (Elder Renlund's Talk). In it Elder Renlund talked about unfairness. He said,

"Nephi must have recognized that life would be the most unfair for Jesus Christ. Though absolutely innocent, the Savior would suffer the most."

Later in the talk he added these words,

"The sacrament truly helps us know our Savior. It also reminds us of His innocent suffering. If life were truly fair, you and I would never be resurrected; you and I would never be able to stand clean before God. In this respect, I am grateful that life is not fair.
At the same time, I can emphatically state that because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, ultimately, in the eternal scheme of things, there will be no unfairness. “All that is unfair about life can be made right.”14 Our present circumstances may not change, but through God’s compassion, kindness, and love, we will all receive more than we deserve, more than we can ever earn, and more than we can ever hope for. We are promised that “God shall wipe away all tears from [our] eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”15"
To me these are amazing words full of hope and truth. I can feel peace knowing that there is an eternal plan even if I cannot see it-even if it is never manifested in this life. They do not magically take away the pain or sadness. Emotions are real and have purposes of their own. Today I can only pray that I can find the strength and understanding to see those purposes and accept them and use them.
As I searched to understand my feelings today I felt touched by parts of each of these articles. I am so glad that when I am struggling I know of a positive place to turn for guidance and uplifting messages.
https://www.lds.org/blog/taking-time-to-appreciate-the-little-big-things?cid=HP_TU_24-5-2016_dOCS_fBLOG_xLIDyL2-3_

https://www.lds.org/blog/spring-will-come?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/04/thy-will-be-done?lang=eng&media=audio

In light of these messages my gratitudes for the day are for cranky children which leads to extra snuggles, the natural world in all of its expressions-the sun and wind and trees and water, and that my dad wants to come and visit my family and spend time with his grandchildren. It really is the little big things.

My meditation for today is this process of trying to accept emotions for what they are-not to judge them as good or bad or try to change them but simply to experience them and then let them move on when we are both ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment